Don’t Take Your Children’s Feelings For Granted
The Children’s Bill of Rights is something we like to mention during or before a divorce involving children. We feel the issues discussed here are ones that often parents need to be reminded of. Things like not being forced to get involved in grown-up issues and remembering not to treat them like pawns during or after a divorce. After all, kids are people too.
For the sake of a child’s education, their daily routine, and to help them better associate with family and/or friends, parents are requested to always remember that children deserve the following:
- The right not to be asked or expected to choose sides or be put in a situation where I would have to take one parent’s side against the other.
- The right to be treated as a person and not as a pawn, possession or negotiating chip.
- The right to freely and privately communicate with both parents.
- The right not to be asked questions by one parent about the other.
- The right to not be a messenger.
- The right to express my feelings.
- The right to ample visitation with the non-custodial parent which will best serve my needs and wishes.
- The right to love and have a relationship with both parents equally, without being made to feel guilty.
- The right to not hear either parent say anything bad about the other.
- The right to the same educational opportunities and economic support, if at all possible that I would have had if my parents did not divorce.
- The right to have what is in my best interest protected at all times.
- The right to maintain my status as a child and not be expected to take on adult responsibilities for the sake of the parent’s well-being.
- The right to request my parents seek appropriate emotional and social support for me and them when needed.
- The right to expect consistent parenting at a time when little in my life seems constant or secure.
- The right to expect healthy relationship modeling, despite the recent events.
Call The Family Law Experts Men Trust (813) 415-3510
In Law We Trust, P.A. is a premier firm of divorce lawyers representing men in family law proceedings. We are uniquely positioned to assist our clients with the challenges men face in Florida’s court system. Call us today and get the proper representation men need and deserve.