Always Seek Representation When Dividing Up Marital Assets
The division of marital property can be one of the toughest aspects of any divorce, and that is why, even in what seems to be an amicable situation, it is best to seek legal representation when considering a divorce.
Sometimes divorcing couples can agree about how to divide their property either on their own or with the help of a mediator and the courts will generally uphold these agreements. However, if a couple can’t reach an agreement, an arbitrator or judge will decide and take into consideration a variety of circumstances including the following:
- Length of the marriage
- Economic status of each of the spouses
- If the couple’s minor children or either spouse will continue to live in the marital home
- Each spouse’s contributions to the marriage either as an income-earner, a parent, or homemaker
- Whether either spouse interrupted their career or education, or contributed to the other spouse’s career or education
- Each spouse’s debts and liabilities
- Whether marital assets, either after the divorce petition or within the two years preceding, were intentionally wasted or destroyed by either spouse
- Complexities associated with dividing any of the assets, especially in the case of a business
- Division of debt, the responsibility of payments, and the circumstances of how, and by whom, that debt was acquired
- Adultery or other bad behaviors are not generally punished through the division of assets and debts, however, if behaviors contributed to squandering marital assets or to reckless accumulation of debt, that may be taken into account
- Ability of each spouse to support themselves following the divorce
Negotiating for the Best Distribution of Assets During Divorce
All of these circumstances can be looked at in a very subjective way and that is precisely why, if you are considering divorce, you need someone in your corner to represent your best interests. Having an experienced divorce lawyer who specializes in the issues that men face in divorce, will put you at an advantage. The firm In Law We Trust, P.A. has the knowledge and expertise to negotiate for your rights and for a fair settlement so that you can confidently move forward with your life.
Call The Family Law Experts Men Trust (813) 415-3510
In Law We Trust, P.A. is a premier firm of divorce lawyers representing men in family law proceedings. We are uniquely positioned to assist our clients with the challenges men face in Florida’s court system. Call us today and get the proper representation men need and deserve.